Letter to Editor: Counsell urges voters to consider facts in judicial race
After considering the facts, Lyndsey Boon Brunette is the most qualified judicial candidate and should be Clark County’s next judge. Foremost is that Boon Brunette has dedicated her professional and personal life to Clark County. She was born and raised here and her legal practice has been here for years. Boon Brunette owns a home here with her husband and her three children. Boon Brunette’s opponent, Roberta Heckes, has stated on Facebook “I am a Clark County resident. I have been serving clients in Clark County for over five years.
But consider these facts:
- Heckes rents her residence in Clark County. She has owned a home since 2003, with her husband Lester Heckes, on Tower Dr. in Adell, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin.
- Through October, 2017, Heckes listed her membership address with the State Bar Association of Wisconsin as being in Adell, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin. Attorneys are required as a condition of maintaining their law license to keep their address with the State Bar Association up to date.
- Through October 2017, Heckes listed her address on her Law Office website as being in Adell, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin.
- Heckes has served clients in Clark County. But look at the details. Court records show she has been in court in fewer than 35 cases since 2009. That included suing Clark County in a failed case in which all her allegations were dismissed by the trial court and again dismissed by the State Court of Appeals.
- Court records show that Boon Brunette has been in court on over 2,400 contested cases in Clark County and has been responsible for more than 3,000 additional uncontested cases in Clark County.
Some people may say it is good to have “someone new” or “an outsider.” I urge you to ask yourself “why?” What does such a person bring to the table? What do you really know about that person? Do any of your friends or neighbors actually know that person? Has that person clearly and truthfully stated her plans and goals? Do you really know why that person is here? Or will that person leave as suddenly as she came? Compare the candidates’ websites and Facebook pages and see who really has the ideas for moving forward.
Consider Lyndsey Boon Brunette’s dedication to Clark County and her plans to address the issues of substance abuse, mental health and crime in Clark County. Consider her plan to work collaboratively with the public, county and state agencies, legal community, and service organizations to find solutions to the issues facing Clark County. When you do, I trust that you will vote for Lyndsey Boon Brunette for judge.