Marshfield bowling center to lose twin
By Hub City Times staff
MARSHFIELD – Marshfield’s sole bowling center will lose its twin, as a longtime family entertainment center in Wausau is razed later this year.
In 1962, Paul Felker built a set of “twin” bowling centers – Mountain Lanes in Wausau and Janes Lanes in Marshfield. The centers were built with a similar look, but slightly different layout.
The Marshfield center was named after Felker’s wife, Jane.
Janes Lanes was later sold to local businessman, Chester Bell, who then leased the center to Brunswick Bowling and Billiard’s Corporation. The lanes were used as a training ground for Brunswick’s national chain.
In 1986, Jim and Jerry Leonhardt purchased the Marshfield center, renaming it Rose Bowl Lanes. It remains in the Leonhardt family to this day.
The Wausau center, located at 1501 Elm Street, changed hands multiple times and closed several times before Lokre Companies purchased it at the end of 2018.
Lokre Companies now has plans to tear the center down and develop the property. Development plans are not being disclosed at this time.